In what order do you remodel a kitchen?
Never rush into kitchen remodeling without a plan in place. Once you have an idea of how you want your kitchen to look you may want to prepare a kitchen remodel to do list as a guide. On that to-do list you may want to start your project by hiring a general contractor, which can be easier, and possibly cheaper than doing it yourself.
Other steps in the process include:
- Dismantling current kitchen: You’ll start by removing cabinets, appliances, and remove paneling.
- Replacing the plumbing: Update any old plumbing and add new connections.
- Replacing the wiring and installing lighting: Any new wiring or lighting will be added, and electrical upgrades made to accommodate appliances.
- Hanging drywall and mudding the joints: Once the wiring and plumbing are in place, the drywall can go up. Add the joint compound, or mud, to reinforce the joints.
- Painting walls and ceiling: After you have new walls up, you’ll need to paint them, as well as the ceilings.
- Installing the flooring and baseboards: As your kitchen shapes up with freshly painted walls and ceilings, you’ll follow up by adding the flooring and baseboards
- Installing the cabinets: While taking down old cabinets may be easy, you may want to hire a professional to install the new cabinets.
- Installing countertops and matching backsplash: Countertops are some the most appealing portions of kitchen remodeling projects. Add the backsplash around the countertops after the countertops are installed, unless you are using the same material. Then you can add the backsplash in at the same time.
- Installing hardware like knobs on cabinets: The final pieces like knobs are fitted onto cabinets as the project is wrapped up.
When you are adding new plumbing, make sure quality products like PEX piping are used to ensure your new system lasts a long time. This piping requires minimal maintenance. For all your plumbing services, including installing PEX piping, in Huntington Beach, CA, rely on the professionals at Top Shelf Plumbing. Call 714-588-2406 to schedule services.
Before and after a remodel make sure your kitchen, and the rest of the house, stays cool with AC maintenance in CA.
What is considered a kitchen remodel?
Kitchen remodeling can involve anything from replacing everything in the kitchens to just adding in new cabinets or flooring or appliances. Remodeling is different from a renovation. When you’re remodeling, your altering the kitchen in some way. You might add space by tearing down a wall or give it a new look with an island and matching countertops.
A renovation, on the other hand, is using the materials you have at hand, and restoring them to look new or improve them. With a kitchen renovation, you might paint your cabinets, or repair the countertops. You could install new light fixtures or upgrade appliances without adding space or making any other alterations.
Kitchen remodel with island
One of the most common kitchen remodeling projects is adding a kitchen island. Kitchen islands add more cabinet space to the kitchen without adding more cabinets or counter space. Islands are very versatile. They can be built to accommodate any size of kitchen, and can include spaces for meal preparation, or even serve as a space to serve food. Tall chairs or bar stools are often accessories of kitchen islands. Some are made to be mobile to free up kitchen space as needed.
What will it cost to remodel my kitchen?
When preparing your kitchen remodel budget you’ll generally need to plan to spend anywhere between about $12,500 to $33,000 or more. Much of the costs will depend on what materials you use, and how elaborate your design is. You’ll also have to factor in the length of time the project takes, and any expenditure on general contracting, electrical, or plumbing labor. Other expenditures may include hiring an architect or certified kitchen designer to help you with the design and planning.
What is the most expensive part of a kitchen remodel?
Installing new cabinets is usually the most expensive part of a remodel. Cabinets can cost up to $15,000 or more. New appliances run a close second. Depending on the appliances you add, you could spend on average as much as $8,200 on new appliances. Kitchen countertops are the next most expensive item, averaging about $6,000.
How can I remodel my kitchen for cheap?
Kitchen remodeling, even for a small kitchen, can be costly. Here are some possible remodeling ideas that may not break the bank:
- Paint cabinets: Instead of replacing cabinets, which can run about $15,000, you can give your old cabinets a fresh look with a new paint job.
- Check online for deals: You can find some great deals online for everything from countertops to cabinets.
- Go retro: If you like the look of your kitchen, you keep some of the original materials, and renovate them instead, and update other areas to fit with the old look.
- Make minor changes: You may not need to do the whole makeover all at once. Even just adding overhead cabinets can improve a kitchen’s look and add storage space.
Kitchen remodel vs home value
One of the main reasons for kitchen remodeling, outside wanting something fresh and different for your home, is to improve the home’s value. People often remodel kitchens before any other space in the home. Almost 80% of homebuyers, according to recent surveys, place kitchens on top of their list when it comes to what makes a home appealing. If you budget and plan well, a kitchen remodel could prove to be a selling point if you put your home on the market.
If you need plumbing services for your kitchen remodeling in Huntington Beach, CA, call 714-588-2406 for the professionals at Top Shelf Plumbing. We pair quality services with quality materials for all your plumbing needs.